Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Symbiotic Computing

Or how an old project comes back to life...

A couple of years ago I was approached by a gentleman with an idea. That idea was to come up with some way to get "personal computing" into the hands of kids who wouldn't otherwise have anything. (Rich if you see this send me an email.)

One idea we tossed around was loading up portable apps or something like that on a flash drive. At the time the U3 technology was new and the flash drives that support it expensive. Well that's not true anymore. This weekend I picked up a 2GB flash drive, with U3 support, for less than $20. It now is the home of a QEMU-Puppy installation. Once I figure out how to get it to autorun under Windows I'll have a "computer" that runs Linux that only needs Windows system as a "host". Its a little slow depending on the host configuration but its better than nothing.

More as I get a chance to play with it.

No comments: