Sunday, September 02, 2007

Hosting History

I promise that I'm going to do more blogging in the next year. Its Labor Day weekend, and in Minnesota that means the end of summer with the end of the State Fair. But next year it will be something all together different. Next year September 1-4 will be the Republican National Convention, right here in the Twin Cities. The Main Event will take place about 2 miles from the house at the Xcel Energy Center.

This convention will be historic for several reasons. First, it is one of the few times in the nation's history that neither the sitting President nor Vice President is seeking the nomination. (The last time was probably 1928.) Second, regardless of your political views, it is safe to say that the current administration will go down as one of the most controversial in history. The convention will signal the changing of the guard with respect to Republican leadership.

My personal goal is learn more about the history of my adopted state and home town. I want to be able to answer people's questions if they ask me. So don't be surprised to see comments on what I've learned. It doesn't hurt that 2008 is also the State of Minnesota's sesquicentennial. That should make state history a popular topic next year.

No comments: