Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Riding the Rails

I bought our tickets for NY yesterday at amtrak.com this will be the fourth time of taking the train to New York. Last year we flew back and we'll do that again. The decision for me is do blog here during the trip, via email and the BlackBerry or do I look at something like Jaiku and microblog the trip. I may end up doing a little of both.

Shout out for good customer service
In this day and age finding good customer service can be a chore. But today I had a good experience. The battery in the laptop stopped taking a charge a while ago and earlier this month I finally decided to replace it. After checking prices online I decided to go to a local BatteriesPlus and see if they had any in stock. They didn't but the price at the store was better than their website price and good enough compared to purely online shops. I like to buy hardware locally if I can, so I ordered the battery. They said "5 to 7 business days." Well I hadn't heard anything by the end of last week so I stopped in on Sunday, 2 weeks after the order had been placed, no information. But a suggestion that I call during the week and speak to Kevin. Well today I went over at lunch time and spoke to Kevin who found out that even though he had placed the order and his clearing house had pushed it to the vendor it fell through a crack somewhere and hadn't made it into the vendor's system. Kevin made three phone calls while I was standing there, updating me in between calls. He got the information to the vendor and even got them to drop ship it to the house. So hopefully I have it in a few days. It's nice sometimes to go in expecting the worst and walk away having had a good experience. Bravo, Kevin!

No comments: